Religion plays a major role in the daily life of many societies, and religious beliefs and practices are a significant characteristic of how many people define their identity. So getting a glimpse of their religion might help you understand them slightly better.
For this challenge we want you to go inside a religious building of a culture other than your own and to look around. It’s not necessary to observe or take part in a religious prayer, but you are certainly free to do so.
(Sometimes religion is an intensely personal topic, so if our challenge offends you please understand that our only purpose is to promote the communication and understanding between different cultures. We certainly don’t want to convert anyone or suggest that one religion is better than another one.)
What You’ll Need
- Good will and open-mindedness.
- Proper clothing.
Steps to Success
- Learn a bit about the religion which you will be observing.
- Be quiet, know about what is expected of visitors and act appropriately.
- In case you want to photograph or make videos, it’s advisable to ask ahead of time.
- Dress appropriately: in many cases your legs and shoulders must be covered or you have to leave your shoes outside. Please observe the rules. For example in many Jain temples you are not allowed to wear any leather articles, especially leather belts.
- In some cases you are not allowed to stay during the prayer. Please respect the wishes of your hosts.
Coming Soon: Add this Challenge to Your User Profile!
Take a few pictures or a short video of you working on the challenge. After you are finished log into your account and click on “Submit a Challenge Attempt.” If our members find that you did a good job, they’ll vote for your attempt.
We’ll consider any attempt with 25 or more votes as successfully completed, and will add it to your user profile. This way you can share your unforgettable experiences with anyone and serve as inspiration for them!